Tuesday, May 13, 2008

JTam, facebook creep extraordinaire, brings you a breaking news story

Check this out before facebook fixes the glitch (unless they did it on purpose)

If you go to facebook and click in the "search" tab and just press the down arrow key (on your keyboard...) instead of typing anything in, a list of 5 names appears, presumably the 5 people who view your page the most (presumably to ogle at your pictures or memorize your interests and wall-to-walls for use in future conversations). It only includes these 5 people, so it seems like this is something done on purpose and that these names have been selected for a reason. It's reasonable to conclude that these names are either the top 5 you search or the top 5 that search for you, and the latter made more sense to me when I tested this out and found my 5. my top five ill keep confidential, but they are reasonable choices (I will admit that James, you are my number one and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or proud about this. Also, Casey Bartlett= #2 and Mary Curtin= #4)

if this really works, this is a goddamn wet dream come true for the hordes of facebook creeps out there (CHRIS VERC I'M LOOKING AT YOU)

check it out and let us know in the comments whether it worked for you and made sense. who are your top 5 stalkers?

(thanks to Julia for the heads up)

UPDATE:
Unfortunately for all of you hoping to discover any secret crushes and fortunately for those who abuse facebook to creep on hot strangers, it seems that facebook has disabled this feature. I understand why though, since facebook makes its money by allowing people to be anonymous and unchatchable stalkers, so the number of people using facebook would immediately dwindle once people realized their efforts could be traced as users would go back to their telescopes and hiding spots in bushes outside of people's houses instead. It's amazing how fast that feature was shut down though, within literally an hour of when I posted about it, so I think this has now finally proven that Mark Z is a very talented stalker himself. Oh well, it was fun for us who siezed the chance to finally prove that capozzi shamelessly memorizes every aspect of our facebooks.

UPDATE #2:
As Julia diligently reported in the comments section (see her wonderful analysis for more details), all you have to do is press space bar and THEN the down button and the five still come up.  stalkers commence thine fine artistry!

26 comments:

Jeremy said...

What down arrow? All I see by the search field is a magnifying glass.

Jeremy said...

Nevermind. I see it now. Eee gads.... I need new glasses.

J.

juliatam said...

capozzi..not only are YOU my number one, you were my little sister's and my roommates.. what the hell nappy?

Doodlah said...

I think it's true..I have a fake account for a pokemon (long story), and on that account I'm listed as number one which doesn't make a bit of sense. I will admit that I have looked at its profile to see if there were any comments left on the wall for the little guy. Good spot JTam and good reporting Smears.

Mr. Chabes said...

I got nothing. Wtf. Although the thought that this is possible intrigues me. I've never been much of a creeper, so I'm always surprised to see who is.

juliatam said...

hate to break it to you all, but i believe our good friend Zuckerberg fixed the glitch. guess you all won't be finding out who your secret crush is.

BaileyG said...

LIES ALL LIES, i get nothing

Professor Bee Lee said...

I got nothing (not sure what that means) but i think this is a elaborate lie from Pat and JULZZZZZ!1. Fuck you for getting my creep dreams up.

Also I'm pretty sure that Mary Curtin would have been in everyones top five . I said it, Mary.

Professor Bee Lee said...

I love how Nappy Dukes comes out as the bad guy on this one, for some reason. Keep your chin up, Dukes.

Smears said...

b lee and all the haters- it really did work (ask verc and bryce), but it was shut down. i have a series of texts with jtam to prove it, but unfortunately i did not snap a photo because I thought that this was just another shameless development in facebook's attempts to infiltrate every aspect of our lives until we all know everything about every other person, thereby rendering all conversation and human contact useless and ensuring that we spend even more time facebooking.

still- i know my top 5 stalkers and I will never forget this day

Casey said...

HEY! hahaha i dont think that that can be true because I like havent been on facebook in a week so theres no way that I can be #2 on your top 5 list stoopid...& that doesnt work for me...is it down?

juliatam said...

alright guyyys, it was a facebook error so they tried to fix it, but they didn't fix it completely. press space bar then down arrow. but facebook issued a statement saying it is the top 5 people you may be interested in taking into consideration various factors. however i think that could potentially be bs because this error is a PR's worst nightmare..it completely goes against facebook's "anonymous stalking" whoooo knows..so professor bee lee eat it.

Mr. Chabes said...

Wow. That yielded some surprises. I'm actually slightly stunned.

Smears said...

i dont know- chris verc and doodlah's results are too eerily accurate to be just "people you might be interested in"

how can they pick 5 people (5 for 5) that verc has had a crush on out of his hundreds of friends? if its not people who visited his page or vice versa this is just way too creepy

Doodlah said...

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK RESPONSE:

“The five friends that you see below the search box are populated based on people whom we think you’d be most interested in. Taking into account various factors, we attempt to make an educated guess as to who it is you’re looking for when you start typing a name in the search box. Please note that this information is only visible to you and will not be shared with your friends. We hope that this feature is helpful and we appreciate your feedback. Let me know if you have further questions.”

..I think that it's just a cover up but who knows..

you can also access this by using a "." or "-".

Enjoy Creepers.

juliatam said...

i have very strong suspicions that it is the people that hit your page the most and not the people that "may be interesting to you", because if that was a new facebook app then it wouldn't be released like this. facebook is trying to cover their asses. i mean come on.. my roommate has NO idea who capozzi is..why would he be her number 1?

Doodlah said...

Smears.. What you said there means that it could also be that it's the top people searched for by that person..

..earlier from Smears --
"how can they pick 5 people (5 for 5) that verc has had a crush on out of his hundreds of friends? if its not people who visited his page or vice versa this is just way too creepy"

..it sounds like that you're saying that the people who showed up are people that verc searched for multiple times

Doodlah said...

JTam - why is she friends with him if she has no idea who she is?

juliatam said...

ew. i blog. and i am being obsessive about it. pat, look what you did to me.

Professor Bee Lee said...

julia, I hope there is know bad blood between us haha. This is weird though and I want to know what it means. My top five seem to disprove you doodlah, one of the people I have never seached for (to my knowledge) and have looked at her profile like 5 times.

Anonymous said...

i sincerely doubt it's anything to do with who views your page most... my five are four girls who i'm not close with and a dude i pretty much barely know.

juliatam said...

bee lee, there would never be.

alright, here it is.

http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9943285-36.html

Mr. Chabes said...

I'm skeptical as well. It worked and yielded what were initially interesting results for me. However, I became curious to see if this was a legit function. I asked my sister if it worked for her, and the only 5 that popped up were the first 5 people she's friends with on facebook according to their alphabetical arrangement.

I then tried it again a couple of hours later, and the same thing that happened to her happened to me. No longer were my top 5 people interesting or particularly important with respect to my relationship to them. It was simply the first 5 friends I have on facebook who's last names start with the letter "A".

So this is all very sketchy in terms of what that search is actually showing you. It could be anything, and facebook's response doesn't help much.

James is not funny said...

don't flatter yourself pat. i would imagine i am in the top 5 of almost everybody on my friend list. i hound that news feed and am not ashamed to say it.

Casey said...

wait, i just did it with the space bar thing and my top 5 are listed alphabetically...meaning the top 5 beginning wtih the letter A, etc. so I dont really see how thats random...

Anonymous said...

i think facebook must have fixed it.